Sunday, February 22, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies, with a twist

It's a cold and rainy Sunday night and I've been craving a chocolate chip cookie all weekend so I figured tonight would be a perfect night to make them.  I avoided my usual go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe because I'm a little tired of it and if you don't have whole wheat pastry flour the dough can get crumbly and hard to work with.  

I went through my cookbooks looking for a traditional recipe but most of the ones I found called for shortening, yuck.  I finally came across one that didn't call for it so I used it and added my own little twist with some hazelnut flour.  We had a bag of it from a dessert pizza recipe that didn't pan out (no pun intended!) and I have been wanting to bake with it.  It gave the cookies a nice and subtle nutty flavor.

Chocolate Chip Cookies 
Adapted from The Good Housekeeping Cookbook

1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup hazelnut flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup high quality baking chocolate (I use Scharffen & Berger semi-sweet baking bars), chopped 

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  
2. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
3. Using a stand mixer on medium speed, beat butter and brown and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.  Reduce speed to low, beat in flour mixture until blended.  Stir in chocolate chips.
4. Drop dough by rounded tablespoons onto parchment lined baking sheets, spreading the dough 2 inches apart.  Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.  Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
5. Repeat with remaining dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment